Menopause is a normal change in a woman’s life when her menstruation (period) stops. During such periods, she will no longer be fertile (not able to become pregnant). Menopause is natural phenomenon in woman characterized by the cessation of menstruation and usually occurring between the ages of 45 and 55 years.
In UK, the average age for menopause is 52 years according to the Natural Health Service, while in USA the average age is 51 years according to Natural Institute of Aging in this part of the world, this often happens between the ages of 45 and 55 years.
In some individuals, it starts earlier, as early as 35 and 40 years. Menopause occurs gradually with irregular flow which can be scarcity or excessive before it stops completely.
A woman has reached menopause when she has not had her menstruation for 12 months in a row.
Note: God Almighty is interested in our physical, spiritual, emotional and psychological well being and so He has the following promises for us. Psalm 91: 121, 1-8
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MENOPAUSE
- Irregular diminishing and final cessation of menstruation. It usually occurs as scantly or plenty with longer or shorter cycles occurring at intervals of 2-6months until cessation finally occurs and menopause is established
- Hot flushes, i.e. internal heat associated with sweating
- Prickly sensation i.e. severe sweating even when the weather is cold
- Arthritis causing painful or stiff joint
- Palpitation i.e rapid breathing of the heart
- Insomnia (sleep disturbances or sleepless night)
- Vaginal dryness leading to painful coitus
- Gradual loss libido
- Mood changes
- Problems of focusing and learning
- More fat building up in the abdomen and help
- Hair loss
- Reduction and rectocele (prolapsed of the bladder and rectum (due to weakness of the muscle of the vaginal wall.
CHALLENGES OF MENOPAUSE TO AGING WOMEN
- Headache, body odour, hair loss in public areas or on whole body, mouth odour and dryness
- Increase in allergies
- Itching and acting
- Incontinence when coughing or sneezing
- Weight gain around waist and thighs resulting in disappearing waist time
- Depletion of calcium and potassium
See Also: 5 Proven Factors That Cause Infertility In Women And Solutions
- Feeling of dreads apprehension doom (i.e feelings of misfortune like death)
MANAGEMENT OF MENOPAUSE
- Dispel the myths and misconceptions about menopause
- Know that this condition can be managed with appropriate adjustment, medication and counseling
- Supplementary diets on micronutrients and vitamins e.g calcium, B Complex
- Application of lubricant for dryness of vagina like KY Jelly
- Know adequate rest and sleep
- Take proper diet for this condition, mainly fruits, vegetables, fibers and fruits
- Engage more in physical exercise in alleviate symptoms
OTHER INTERVENTIONS FOR COPING WITH MENOPAUSE
- Adopt positive exercise like â€“ Evangelism, prayer follow-up or visitation, etc.
- Express affection to one-another Col. 3:14
- Avoid discouragement
- Maintain personal hygiene
- Dress properly for personal adornment and try to keep fit always
- Read information, Education and Communication (IEC) on menopause materials
MEDICATION FOR MENOPAUSE
- Vitamin therapy especially Vitamin B12
- Mineral supplement especially calcium e.g calcium Sandoz 1000mg daily due to bone demineralization
- Application of genital lubricants during intercourse if weight is dry like KY Jelly for women
- Hormone Replacement therapy (H12T) is a way of replacing the ovarian hormone like Estrogen and Progesterone due to non-production as a result of menopause
See: Causes of Uterine Fibroid, Symptoms And Treatments
See Also: Infidelity and Cheating In Marriage – Causes, Consequences And Solution
I know you have some contributions to make in this article. I will be glad to see them in the comment section below. Please help us to reach your social media friends by clicking any of the share buttons below. Good luck!