Eggs may be the universal breakfast food, but for a balanced (and colorful!) meal, be sure to serve them alongside veggies, too. Any vegetables will work in this egg in a hole recipe (such as last night’s leftovers), but Earthbound Farm Organic Tomatoes, Bell Peppers and Onions are always favorites. Egg in a hole with roasted vegetable meal is simply a grilled cheese with egg in the middle and it is rich in protein, vitamins and fiber. It contains less fat and cholesterol. It can serve as a breakfast or launch.
For the Roasted Vegetables:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
Use any vegetables you have on hand, or prepare the following, reserving excess:
- ½ onion
- 1 small tomato
- ½ small zucchini
- ½ red bell pepper
- 1 small green chili
For the Complete Dish:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- One slice of bread
- 1 egg
1. Wash and pat dry any kind of firm vegetables. (Used here: zucchini, red bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and green chili). Cut them into long, equal sized strips. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, place veggies and drizzle generously with olive oil. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
3. Arrange them evenly on a baking sheet. Then roast them for 30-40 minutes, until crisp and tender.
4. Cool and store in an air-tight container if not using immediately. Refrigerate for a longer shelf life.
5. Using a small, sharp jar top, cut a hole out of the center of the slice of bread.
6. Heat a bit of butter in a skillet and pan roast the bread with its cutout on one side. Turn it over and place a layer of roasted vegetable around the hole.
7. Melt a small nugget of butter inside the hole and crack an egg in the middle.
8. Cook over low medium heat for 2-3 minutes or more depending on how well you want the egg to be cooked.
See Also: Egg-Free Salad Sandwiches Recipe
Do you have any suggestion to this awesome egg and vegetable recipe?
Then let’s hear it in the comment section below. Please help us to reach your social media friends by clicking any of the share buttons below. Thanks!